Ask any member of my family and they’ll tell you…I LOVE traditions! Some of them might even tell you I’m a little obsessed. I think a big part of why I love traditions is that I love adventures, being on the move, trying new things, and going new places and having traditions to come back to centers me and gives me peace. Some of my most favorite traditions happen during the Christmas season and while I could talk about so many of my favorite Christmas traditions, today I’m focusing on holiday decor. Here are a few of my favorite holiday decor traditions and tips on creating your own!
As with most of my posts, this post may contain affiliate or referral links.
In our family we have a pretty strict rule about not decorating for Christmas before Thanksgiving. But come the day after Thanksgiving…we go all out with the holiday decor! I have so many memories of bringing out all of the bins of decorations the morning after Thanksgiving and spending the day decorating to all of our favorite Christmas music. Set aside time as a family to decorate for the holiday
Add a new piece each year.
One of the things I love about my mom’s house at Christmas is looking back through the years at all of our holiday pictures. Each year my mom gets a new snowman picture frame and adds a Christmas picture from the year. Not everyone needs to get a new picture frame each year (although it is a pretty great idea!) but find something about your decor you can add to each year.
DIY your holiday decor.
Plenty of our decorations are store bought, but there is also something memorable about creating your own decorations. I think one of my favorite reasons for creating your own holiday decor is that each year when you set out the decorations, you’ll be reminded of the memories you made creating the decor. Every time I put out my holiday garland I’m transported back to the year I made this at my mom’s house.
Do you have any holiday decor traditions in your family?
See more ‘Holiday Decor’ posts from the Blogmas bloggers!
- Kid-Made Ornaments with Pipe Cleaners and Cookie Cutters by Views From a Step Stool
- Holiday Decor by Girl on the Move Blog
- DIY Christmas Centerpieces by My Legendary Style
- 3D Shrinky Dink Christmas Ornaments by STLMotherhood
- Fast and Easy Holiday Table Decor by Ripped Jeans and Bifocals
- Holiday Decor by Babies, Bloodhounds and Booze, Oh My!
- Easy Christmas Home Decor Ideas by Dear Creatives
- DIY Wine Cork Wreath by Motherhood and Merlot
- I Love Christmas Decorations and You Should Too by Verified Mom
- DIY Christmas Ball Wreath for $10 by Urban Housewife Adventures