A few months ago when I decided to intentionally focus on my blog, I came across The SITS Girls. This is a group of more than 75,000 women who connect to help each other find their tribe, grow their audience, share blogging tips and more!
I have learned a lot through The SITS Girls but my favorite part is the weekly SITS Sharefest! And you know it has to be really good because it’s at 7am on Saturday mornings…and there’s not a lot I’m willing to do that early on a Saturday!
The first time I participated in a SITS Sharefest I’m pretty sure I looked like a deer caught in the headlights and I just kept wondering, what in the world is going on?!? Now that I’ve been doing these great chats for a few months, I thought it was time to pass along the wisdom I have learned to those that are new to the chats…
- If you are a blogger and you’ve never heard of SITS Sharefest or even SITS I would highly recommend heading over to the blog and checking it out! The Sharefest has two parts…a link up where you can share your favorite posts from the week and a twitter chat where you can share your posts and most importantly connect with other bloggers! If you are looking to connect with other bloggers, grow your audience, learn some blogging tips, or find new blogs to follow, then you want to participate in the SITS Sharefest.
- Do not try and read all of the links during the one hour Twitter chat! There is so much great content shared during the chat that if you try and read it all as it’s shared, you’ll miss other great tweets. Instead, favorite tweets you want to check out later or open the links in new tabs and then read them later.
- Don’t forget to use the #SITSBlogging hashtag! Using the hashtag will help other people find your tweets and get you involved in the conversation
- It really helps to use Tweet Deck, Hoot Suite or something similar to keep up with the chat because there is usually so much happening. Not necessary (I’ve done in the chat in plain old Twitter and it works fine!), but it can make things a lot easier!
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help! I love that the SITS community is not only welcoming but incredibly helpful! If you’re feeling lost during a chat, ask for help and someone will jump in and help you out!
- Be a friend to make friends! Don’t just link up your posts and send our your own tweets. Check out others’ posts and leave them comment love. Retweet your fellow bloggers and share posts you are loving with your readers. I have found that when you pass along the blog love, others will do the same for you!
- Stay connected after the chat! Don’t let the conversations stop when the hour is up. Connect with bloggers via email, social media, carrier pigeon, whatever works best for you! But continue the conversations after the chat!
- Most importantly, have fun! This is a chance to spend an hour chatting with people who have at least one thing in common with you…they all love blogging! So have fun! Get to know other bloggers, make connections, and enjoy the hour!
Any SITS bloggers have other tips to share?